Thursday, October 20, 2011

Back Home Again In Indiana: Sight Seeing

While in Indiana, I focused most of my time just being in familiar territory and enjoying quality time. I did manage to take a few photos of things like our trip to Indianapolis. I didn't want to flood my blog with all of my photos though, so I've tried to select a few. Also, I've posted a few videos but the video wouldn't work so I placed links instead on my Youtube channel.



The Johnson Creamery smokestack along the B-Line Trail. An iconic place in Bloomington, IN.

The Bloomington Courthouse: the MOST iconic place in Bloomington.

A fountain at 3rd St Park.
Part of a mosaic at the bottom of the fountain.
A video taken from the 17th annual Lotus Festival in Bloomington. I spent time walking about remembering the last time I was at the park watching, listening, and smelling the entertainment, music, and exotic food.

Up in Indianapolis, I enjoyed a day of revisiting all the places I've loved to go to most of my life. Monument Circle was a must see for me. They're doing alot of work right now, but it felt nice to was around there.
One of many statues around the Circle. This one is of Gov. Whitcomb. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Whitcomb

Est. 1883, this building is 100yrs older than me, and 6yrs older than the state of Washington. I found a link that tells more about the building if interested. http://maxkade.iupui.edu/wholesale.html

Indianapolis Artsgarden. This was a nice place to relax after walking around the Circle Center Mall.

Indy's Capital Building.

Hard Rock of Indy. Spendy food, but it was good. I wanted to take pics inside but decided to be nice and not disturb fellow patrons.

Indiana World War Memorial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_War_Memorial

This makes homage to the Washington Monument. It sits across from the WWI Memorial.

Sadly, the memorial was closed but I was able to go inside the entryway and found this. It's a remake of the Liberty Bell.

One entrance into the memorial. The writing says, "To commemorate the valor and sacrifice of the land, sea and air forces of the United States and all who rendered faithful and loyal service at home and overseas in the World War; to inculcate a true understanding and appreciation of the privileges of American citizenship; to inspire patriotism and respect for the laws to the end that peace may prevail, justice be administered, public order maintained and liberty perpetuated."

From the WWI Memorial, we went down to a section of the White River State Park over by Ohio St to visit the 9-11 memorial there. This is a view of the canal from the memorial.

This past Sept 11, Indianapolis dedicated the new memorial that included a beam from each tower. Below are plaques which explain what they are for all too well themselves.





The bronze eagle on top of one of the beams looks towards NYC.

The canal is home to several museums and memorials. This one dedicated to IN's Medal of Honor recipients.

Across the way are some sculptures.

The Indiana State Museum with Marcy in the foreground.

*sigh* Just a bit of Indianapolis' skyline close up.

When I was young we spent many holidays with my step-father's family who lived in Indy. I always knew we were getting close when I saw the old Bank One Tower (Currently known as Chase Tower.)

http://youtu.be/azmRpcMd5kk
Lastly, I wanted to share a sound I've not heard in 2 years that sounds like home. It's the sounds of cicadas and other insects making all their clamour. It may sound like static on the video, but in person it can get pretty loud. At least in my part of the NW, it's pretty quiet in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment